Friday, December 31, 2010
Cancellara was simply amazing in not only winning classics but showing strength in support of Andy Schleck in the Tour de France and finishing up his year with yet another TT world championship to his name.So amazing in fact that many fell for totally unpredictable claims the Swiss had dominated the classics with a bit of motorised assistance. It was the years wackiest cycling story.
But that's all hindsight, without doubt the big guns will again fire, proving to be safe bets in an unpredictable world.But that won't stop this scribe from making a prediction or two. Looking deep into an ice filled glass of Staminade and Gin here are my top-ten predictions for 2011 - with no real authority attached to them except for a grain of truth.
1) Following his suspension Alberto Contador will make good on his threat to retire. He will open a butcher shop in Pinto. Irony dies.
2) Ivan Basso, not Andy Schleck, will win the Tour de France in Contador's absence. He will kiss babies, thank his nona and Tweet, "Tutti a dormire... Buona notte!" for the hundredth time.
3) In a history repeating moment Andy Schleck will again miss a critical shift, this time on the Galibier, losing the Tour de France to Ivan Basso. One-eyed fans will again blame Alberto Contador for unsporting behaviour.
4) Australia will have a UCI Pro Continental team bid announced in September. The UCI's dog will eat the paperwork in November. Truth will be the first casualty.
5) The Tashkent Terror, Djamolidine Abdoujaparov, emerges from his reclusive existence to add his voice in support of fashionista Mario Cipollini and the stern Dane Bjarne Riis' statements about the softness of today's riders. Mark Cavendish will cry. Andre Greipel cannot.
6) With the assistance of the Dalai Lama, Cadel Evans will reach an even higher plane of existence after going into a deep meditation. He will renounce all worldly goods including the need to win the Tour de France.
7) Riccardo Ricco will get busted for the usual. Frustrated Italian anti-doping prosecutors will attempt to suspend the entire country from involvement in cycling, for life.
8) Stuart O'Grady will figure out an inventive new way to get injured before a big event. He will make yet another just-in-time return to fitness.
9) Stung by rumours of motorised doping Fabian Cancellara will go retro in the classics, decimating the field with a new Trek Reynolds 531 rig equipped with Simplex gears and Bamboo rimmed wheels. The UCI technical commission will be pleased at this new advance in technology.
10) Jens Viogt will still be Jens Voigt.
Monday, December 27, 2010
Check out the calendar here or using the link on the right.
So, hope to see some ladies out on the bike in 2011... what a good idea for a new years resolution!
Sunday, December 26, 2010
Saturday, December 25, 2010
Friday, December 24, 2010
Wednesday, December 22, 2010
Check out this awesome Japanese Keirin Flash video game. To play the game, click on LINEMASTER, then ENTER, then click on the orange Keirin racer and then choose your racer (red seems good). Move using the arrow keys and pedal by pushing (mashing) the space bar. in the first few laps behind the pace bike you got to stay in the allocated position, then on the last lap mash the key board to sprint and stay in the slipstream to conserve energy (energy bar on the right of screen). This is how I've been doing me sprint training - go the inside line! FS
Found @ Ride the Black Line
Tuesday, December 21, 2010
Sunday, December 19, 2010
Friday, December 17, 2010
Due to popular demand – we’ll be doing the first half of the TDU ride up through the Gorge.
Thursday, December 16, 2010
Meet at the Tower @ 6.30pm for a 6.45pm start. Coffee and Dinner optional @ Bravo Cafe on the Parade. FS
Wednesday, December 15, 2010
Gates featured in his first B grade race and looked to hold his own well and appears he got him self in the top ten of a tightly contested sprint. I on the other hand took the alternative route out of the last corner shooting off the course to avoid a crash and DNF'd, better then being on the deck! FS
Monday, December 13, 2010
Well it seems the faithful took the 'god' of TT's words to heart. I was impressed by the efforts of the morning - even proud of the bunches endeavour as we have come along way as a group of people committed to improving our health, enjoying our cycling and each others company. While we take our hobby way to seriously and revel in some healthy competition, we are still maintaining the intent behind the BG, of encouraging each other to get out and get fit.
Ride of the day easily goes to Andrew with a well deserved result in the TT as I know Wilson has been working hard on and off the bike and its great to see his efforts pay off. Well done mate.
Thursday, December 9, 2010
Wednesday, December 8, 2010
We probably can’t use the track because of construction and it’s covered in debris after yesterdays storm, so proposing a Norton’s – lofty – freeway route instead, meet at tower @6.30pm coffee at Bravo after. I’ll be heading back down and meeting the Bravo Cafe ride @ the tower at 7pm for a smash fest over to Lofty with – coffee / dinner @ Bravo 8.30pm. The Bravo is a fast ride, but feel free to set own pace from Norton’s and we should meet up on the route.
SUN 12 - BG TT, MEET IN CITY @ 7.30am or TOWER @ 8am
BG TT - NORTONS Reverse start TT followed by a ride out to outer harbour– Henley for coffee. As we have been riding hard in the hills the last couple of weeks this an opportunity for a more relaxed group ride so get your pace out of your system up Norton’s and we’ll and keep it together down to Outer Harbour for the obligatory sprint for the roundabout, regroup hold it together through semaphore and warm it up on Military Road close to Henley. Short cut available on route to outer harbour.
WED 15 CHRISTMAS DRINKS
SUN 19 – GORGE / LOBETHAL / HAHNDORF (1/2 TDU RIDE)
Due to popular demand – we’ll be doing the first half of the TDU ride. The plan is that people will have the option to go out and do checker or continue through the Gorge and re-group in Gumeracha, then on to Lobethal – Lenswood - Coffee in Hahndorf. Shortcut: Lobethal Norton’s home. Then two options: Mylor, Sterling home or on to Strathalbyn with Andrew. Maps to follow but to get the idea see TDU MAP.
Get your orders in ASAP I’d like to order Monday of next week giving everyone this weekend to sort their size out.
Also Bills-e and I have programmed the rest of the rides till TDU with some rides in the Christmas break. Watch the blog for updates on rides closer to Christmas as well try to keep the training going over the break. http://bastardicc.blogspot.com/2010/09/bg-ride-calendar-2010-11.html
Tuesday, December 7, 2010
Monday, December 6, 2010
Andy took his second win in E grade (first 10sec of video), in a text book early sprint, striking from a long way out in a powerful display, which has seen him promoted to D grade. Similarly, Mike will be joining me in B’s after his consistency at the top of C grade. Congrats on step’n up boys! FS Link to NCC Race Video
1 S Park
2 S Boyle
3 S Kasbergen
4 B Bennett
5 R Johnson
preme Sprint S Park
1 N Hermann
2 F Smith
3 D Parsons
4 F Lucano
5 A McLellan
preme Sprint D Miller
1 G Fear
2 J Blake
3 A Crowe
4 M Gates
5 D Ramm
preme Sprint A Leslie
1 P Backen
2 N Ross
3 S Blackwood
4 A Thompson
5 B Barnes
preme Sprint M Johnson
1 A Thomas
2 P Martin
3 N Crawshaw
4 K Porker
5 N de Leeuw
preme SprintL Porker N de Leeuw
Results via NCC
Sunday, December 5, 2010
RIP - Jure Robic, 5 times winner of the Race Across America (none stop 3000miles coast to coast race) and 24 hr record for covering 518 miles!
Thursday, December 2, 2010
Tower Hotel @ 8.00am.
Norton’s – Ashton – Basket Range – Forest Range – Lenswood - Swamp Rd – Greenhill Rd – Carey Gully – Uraidla – Greenhill Rd – Lofty - Norwood.
Harden up - 58km : MAP HERE
Norton’s – Ashton – Basket Range – Forest Range (climb) – Deviation Rd (shortcut) – Carey Gully – Uraidla – Greenhill Rd – Lofty - Norwood.
Soft option - 49km : MAP HERE
Norton’s – Ashton – Basket Range – Range Rd (shortcut) – Uraidla – Greenhill Rd – Lofty - Norwood.