Thanks to Aldo, the following is the instructions on how to use the Virtual Partner.
He used it yesterday to smash 1:10 off his Norton's time.
A few people have asked for instructions on how to set the Garmin Virtual partner based on Strava.
Here is a you tube video
Here are Aldo's instructions
1. Connect your Garmin to your PC
2. Go to the segment page in Strava for the ride that you want to set as the goal to ride against and copy the URL. This will be under Segment---My results and the URL will be something like http://app.strava.com/
3. Then go to Stava tools at Raceshape. These are found at http://strava-tools.raceshape.
com/ and select the VPU Setup Virtual partner option. http://strava-tools.raceshape. com/vpu/
4. Paste the Segment URL you copied in step 1 into the dialog box
5. The website will generate a Garmin GRS file. You then be offered the alternative of updating the device directly or downloading the file. I would recommend that you download the file to a directory on you PC
6. In Windows Explorer navigate to Computer –Garmin Edge 500 () – Garmin – NewFiles and copy the GRS file into this directory
7. Disconnect the Garmin from the PC and Turn it on.
8. Navigate on the Garmin to Menu – training – courses and you will see a course starting with the Time followed by the segment name
9. Select the course and then select Do –course. The Garmin Virtual Partner screen will appear and will start comparing you ride to the loaded one once you enter the course.